Weddings and Blessings

Marriage And Renewal

Preparing to get married is a very exciting time for couples and so is the marriage dedication service of a blessing.   St Johns welcomes all couples who desire God’s presence to guide and strengthen them in the years of married life ahead.

Weddings And Blessings In Church

Congratulations On Your Engagement - How Can We Help?

What should I expect when booking a date?

When you make contact, we’ll check the Parish Diary and confirm the date you’ve requested. For legal reasons, we normally need to book a wedding at least one full month in advance — although, in special cases, we may be able to make emergency provisions at short notice. If you would find it helpful to chat beforehand, please ask and we’ll book an appointment.

Who can get married here?

It is a legal requirement that couples marrying in church should have a qualifying connection to the Parish Church. This will typically mean that one of the partners meets one of the following conditions:

  • you live in the parish;
  • you worship in the church and have joined the electoral roll;
  • you were baptised in the parish;
  • you were confirmed in the parish;
  • your parents or grandparents were married in the church;
  • you or a parent formerly lived in the parish for six months;
  • you or a parent formerly attended worship for six months.

If you are concerned about meeting these conditions, please ring and speak to us.

For a Blessing Ceremony, please visit our contact page to get in touch.

Wedding FAQ

Blessings are not arranged by online application but by contacting our Church through the contact form by clicking the button here

You can fill in the online booking form by clicking the button at the top of the page and then arrange to see the Vicar for further discussion.

Banns are announcements in church of your intention to marry and a chance for anyone to put forward a reason why the marriage may not lawfully take place. On these occasions, everyone in your church will also be praying for you. It can be very special and moving, so go along if you can. Banns are called no more than three months before the wedding.

The Marriage can only be ‘pencilled in’ until the banns are called. The Vicar will discuss with you your wedding plans. Do you want a choir, church bells – and what about flowers? He will arrange to see you again at a later date.

No. The Vicar will be able to issue you with your Marriage Certificate.

No. Fridays are very popular days for weddings. Provided the church is available you can get married on any day between 8 am and 5 pm.It is very unusual for marriages to take place on Sundays due to the Sunday services.

Yes, providing the cause of the divorce was not adultery.

Contact Us

01633 271749

Follow Us

© St John The Evangelist Church 2018

St John's Church Maindee