History Of St John's
The Church’s Past
St John’s has a varied and interesting history. Here is a summary of the major events that have taken place over the years. This may give you some insight into how the church building, as we know it today, has been shaped.
A Long And Eventful History
St John’s has been a part of the community since 1860 and it continues to play an important role. There have been occasions over the years where an important development or unexpected occurrence has happened for the church and its parishioners. This is a brief history of key events.
Group meets at The King’s Head Hotel in Newport
A small group of people decided to build a church in the Parish of Maindee, Newport. Building began in 1859.
17 April 1860
St John’s the Evangelist Church Opens
It cost £200 to buy the land, £2000 to build the church and £300 for the tower. The main architect of the building was Mr Seddon whose name was quite well known among church devotees. The church opened on Tuesday 17th April 1860 with a service led by the Bishop of Llandaff. The first vicar was the Rev. James Newman who came from Brecon.
The Bell Tower
The church bell was installed in the bell tower marking the completion of work on the church.
War Damage Repaired
The stained glass windows at the east end of the church were damaged during bombing in the Second World War and were taken away for repair.
12 November 1949
A Serious Fire
On the 12th of November, a serious fire started and much of the inside of the building was destroyed. It cost £50,000 and took nearly three years to repair the damage caused by the fire. The windows at the east end of the church are the original ones that were away being repaired at the time of the fire.
18 September 1952
St John’s Reopens
After 3 long years, the church reopened.
St John’s Main Door Entrance
A Corner Location For The Church
Garden Of Remembrance